Wednesday, September 10, 2008

24 hours in Salzburg

Guten Tag! Spreche Sie English?
Ok, good! Because I stink at speaking German thus far. But other than that, I am doing well here in Salzburg. After 3 different flights and four different airports and approximately 22 hours of travel, we arrived at Haus Wartenburg. This is Danielle and I after our Lufthansa flight from O'Hare to Duesseldorf, Germany:


Johannes fed us immediately, but having had already had 6 meals within the last 22 hours, we were not very hungry, although the food was delicious. I tried to unpack, but the jet lag overwhelmed me so I decided to take a "45 min" nap that took 2 hours. We all wound up sleeping, despite our best efforts to stay awake, but woke up just in time to walk to old town Salzburg for dinner. We ate at Spaggetti & Co., which has been a dinner hot spot for our Austria program predecessors. We almost fell asleep waiting for our check, so as soon as we came back from the hotel we all went to bed.

This morning we met for breakfast downstairs and then left to wander through Old Town Salzburg for the day. We were able to purchase Salzburg Cards, which allows us for 17 Euro to see almost all of the tourist sites in the city in the next 72 hours. Today we went and saw Hohensalzburg Fortress, which is Central Europe's largest, completely preserved fortress dating from the 11th century:
This is the view of Salzburg from the very top of the highest tower in Hohensalzburg:

And a view of the Alps:

After we were done at the fortress we went to lunch:(What does that say? How much is it?)

And then we had ice cream!

And then we went to tour Mozart's birthplace, which turned out to be kind of weird and boring. After that we went to the Museum of Modern Art, which I liked, but I was so tired by that point that I couldn't take it all in.
Overall, I am very exhausted but very happy to be here and experience it all. One of the other students commented today, "I'm happy to see that Salzburg is a beautiful city, but it is not a metropolis", which I think is the best way to describe it.

There will be more to come tomorrow after our other excursions throughout the city.

No comments: