Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Psalm 39:4-7

Lord, remind me of how brief my time on earth will be.
Remind me that my days are numbered-
how fleeting my life is.
You have made my life no longer than the width of my hand.
My entire lifetime is just a moment to you;
at best, each of us is but a breath.
We are merely moving shadows,
and all our busy rushing leads to nothing.
We heap up wealth not knowing who will spend it.
And so, Lord, where do I put my hope?
My only hope is in You.


If you think this is depressing for me to write the day after my birthday, read it again, and remember that life is short and beautiful and it's the only one you have. So this is my birthday wish: that you would make a list of all of the things you want to do with your life, and then do them. And do it with the people you love the most, because that is what makes it worth it. And TELL them that you love them. And SHOW them that you love them. And remember that asking God to remind you about the beautiful brevity of your life might make living it complicated, but so much more meaningful.

I dedicate this note to Sufjan Stevens for his song "Casimir Pulaski Day", and to my mother, who gave birth to me, who has loved me, who has shown me that life is SO worth it in the Lord.
(Mom and I at Judson '07.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow...this is really beautiful Bethany.

-Shannon